Spilling the Tea on Contour Pillows
We took a hard look at conventional contour pillows and found some surprising discoveries that we’ll tell you all about.
In today’s issue:
- 3 big problems with conventional contour pillows
- Some toxins commonly found in memory foam that everyone should be aware of
- Take 20% off any pillow of your choice!
The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
Contour pillows have gained popularity in recent years, and it’s for good reason. They offer a number of incredible benefits, like:
- Spinal alignment
- Relief from pain, soreness, and stiffness
- Support for your neck, head, and shoulder
But there are a handful of BIG problems with many of the conventional contour pillows out there.
- They’re not adjustable. Once you bought one, you were stuck with its shape and firmness.
- They’re synthetic. Most conventional contour pillows are made of materials like memory foam which could contain any number of potentially toxic chemicals. For example, diisocyanates are chemicals commonly used in memory foam that can irritate the mouth, nose, and eyes, and TDI, in particular, may be carcinogenic.
- They’re expensive! Despite being one shape and firmness and potentially packed with toxic chemicals, you could break the bank buying one!
When we started exploring the design of contour pillows at White Lotus Home a few years ago, we knew we had to create a solution to this problem…
And that’s precisely what we did.
A pillow designed with you in mind that’s all-natural, completely adjustable, and even costs LESS than its competitors…
The KaPillow’s design is simple. It’s a soft, organic cotton sateen casing, filled with our natural Kapok fiber with a half-seam in the center, creating a dip for your head, and leaving a lip on either side to support your neck.
Unlike typical contour pillows, we made our KaPillow easy to adjust because we know just how important it is for the firmness and shape to be just right.
To adjust your KaPillow, you can simply unzip the case and add or remove filling as you see fit until it’s perfect for you!
Ready to Kick Neck Pain and Toxic Chemicals to the Curb?
Treat yourself to an all-natural contour pillow that’s affordable, effective, and completely adjustable. You deserve it!
Use Coupon Code “CONTOUR” to take 20% OFF
ANY pillow of your choice!
OFFER ENDS 09-25 @ Midnight!
Sleep Safe NOW Pay Later! Split any payments into 4 interest-free payments or finance to pay over the next 6 months! Please select KLARNA at check out! Get an instant decision, no impact on your credit.APRs from 0%-24.99%† Minimum order of $149 is required for financing and a minimum order of $10 is required for 4 interest-free payments.
FINE PRINT: 20% off using code Contour is valid towards new orders only of any PILLOW, not valid towards custom, fibers or furniture. OFFER ENDS 09-25 @ Midnight!
- Since 1981, White Lotus Home has been established and ran primarily by women
- We are still hand making mattresses, pillows, duvets, and toppers from A to Z
- We have used over 2,000,000 pounds of American grown us cotton
- We use Green Cotton, grown & aggregated in the USA, with no dyes or formaldehyde.
- We use GOTS Certified Organic Cotton, which is held to the highest standards for health and sustainability. Pesticide and insecticide free 100% natural and biodegradable
- We have used over 20,000 lbs of US grown wool
- We use undyed, untreated, virgin lamb’s wool! Washed with a mild detergent but contains no chemical treatments
- We use Organic GOTS Certified Wool, held to the highest standards for health and sustainability. Pesticide and insecticide free.
- We use US grown buckwheat hulls, which are the shells derived from buckwheat plants. Naturally resistant to pests and competitive with weeds, buckwheats are a sustainable crop to grow and require very little input from the land to mature.
- We use Natural Latex which provides a soft and bouncy feel without the sharpness or gradual loss of elasticity of springs. And while all latex is a man-made material, it is derived from rubber tree sap and not synthetic elastic.
- We use evergreen foam that is manufactured 100% in the United States from a mixture of natural plant-based oils and conventional non-toxic polyols.
- We use Organic Cotton Sateen Fabrics which is as sustainable and healthy as organic cotton, and a whole lot softer. GOTS Certified and Imported from Pakistan.
- We create close to zero waste since we upcycle as much as possible
- Donated close to $100,000 worth of organic and green products in the last 10 years
- Close to 100,000 sleeping pillows handmade in the USA in the last 15 years
- Over 3,000 organic and green mattress handmade yearly in the USA
- One Storefront, over 50 sites selling to customers worldwide
- Over 30 wholesale and Private Label clients all over the world
- Run and operated by 10 great American workers
- Over 90% of the raw goods we use are made or grown in the USA
- We currently use over 20,000 pounds of kapok yearly. This Sustainable product helps boost economies in Indonesia
- Hand make organic, green, and Vegan products in the USA
- Our mattresses never ever have springs, who wants to sleep on top of metals anyway?
- Our zippered pillows make them adjustable and longer lasting than most others
- We created the first ever, green contour pillow, once that is adjustable and cheaper than most conventional contour pillows
- We created the first ever, skinny mattress
- We hand made the first GOTS Organic Certified face mask
- We take any leftover scrap fabrics and create Upcycled Shopping bags
- We love what we do so much that we give away free testing samples all the time.
- We use an electric vehicle to make some of the local deliveries
- We created a hybrid mattress
- We do a ton of custom work and can custom make mattresses, pillows, and even Noodles!
- We have a pretty active private label clientele
- We cater to newborn and toddler sleep as well :)
- We carry only made in the USA solid wood furniture
- Our toppers are a great way to sleep greener without investing all that green :)
- We created the firmest mattress ever, without the use of metals and toxins
- We offer Free Shipping to anyone in the contiguous USA
- We offer Free White Glove Delivery Service to anyone within 150 miles from our facility in NJ
- Thanks to you, we are ready for 40 more, thanks for Saving the Earth While You Sleep!
At White Lotus Home, we believe that women are an incredibly valuable asset to our society and our business.
In fact, we can’t celebrate our 40th Anniversary without giving major credit to all of the women who have led our company over the years!
Did you know?
💚 Since 1981, White Lotus Home has been established and run primarily by women
💚 Our Vice President, Elizabeth Pando, was also born in 1981. (We won’t tell you how old she will be this year, but if you guessed 20, you are right!... times two 😉)
💚 Earth Day is celebrated on April 22nd, and our owner’s mom’s birthday is the same day! She worked diligently at White Lotus Home until 2010. We still have her beautiful plants all over the showroom, and we continue to honor all she taught us before she left Mother Earth. While we celebrate our company’s 40th Anniversary, we will celebrate her legacy as well.
Our 40th Anniversary Earth Day Celebration Is Here!
Since 1981, we’ve done our best to offer competitive prices on green and organic mattresses, pillows, and bedding. However, the problem we hear all too often is that our customers want to choose 100% organic products but can not afford the up to 50% more in cost.
We hear you, we understand, and we want to help!
To celebrate our 40th Anniversary, we will give 40 lucky winners the opportunity to purchase any WLH Organic Bedding at our non-organic Green Product Prices. That means you could save up to 50% on the cost of any WLH 100% GOTS Certified Organic product!
Here’s how to enter…
Step 1: Follow us on Facebook and/or Instagram
Step 2: Write a post or leave a comment telling us why you want a WLH Organic Mattress, Pillow, Duvet, or Topper in your home
Step 3: Tag all the friends you can! The more the merrier!
40 lucky winners will be chosen before this coming Earth Day, April 22nd, 2021. You can enter every day or as many times as you like until then to increase your chances of winning. 😁
We look forward to reading your posts and comments!
Need Pillows for the Whole Family?
Don’t Miss This BOGO Deal!
This week’s 40th Anniversary Celebration Savings Offer is a BOGO deal on the next 100 orders!
Enter coupon code “BOGO” at checkout to buy one pillow and get one FREE!
*This deal is only available to the next 100 orders, so don’t delay!*
A Party is Always Better with Friends!
Please remember, our ten crew strong family-owned and operated business relies almost entirely on REFERRALS, so please invite your friends and family to subscribe to our mailing list so they can join in on the fun of our 40th Anniversary Celebration too!
FINE PRINT: BOGO valid on pillow orders of 2 or more. ADD an EVEN # of pillows to your CART to see the savings! FREE pillow will be of equal or lesser value. Valid towards NEW PILLOW Orders only. FIRST 100 PILLOW Orders!
Contact us today 1-877-426-3623 or 732-828-2111
10 Ways You Can Get Better Sleep
It's 7:00 AM and your alarm goes off. It went off ten minutes ago, but you couldn't pull yourself out of bed. You still feel like you can't, so you hit the snooze button one more time, roll over, and pray your coffee maker was set correctly the night before so you can get some caffeine in your system ASAP.
Sound familiar? When it comes to modern day living, sleep can feel like a scarce commodity. We often go through our days already exhausted right off the starting line.
Sometimes improving the quality of your sleep means making a few lifestyle adjustments and taking a good look at what you're sleeping on every night. Here are 10 ways you can get back to giving your body and mind the rest they need to wake up feeling refreshed, rejuvenated, and ready to go in the morning.
While exercise is a great way to help relieve any tension, stress, and anxiety that may be keeping you up at night, getting a good work out in can physiologically improve your sleep too. Exercise can trigger longer periods of slow-wave sleep which is the deepest and most restorative phase of sleep you can get each night. Still not enough to get you to the gym? Polls have found that people who exercise regularly, even if they don’t get any more sleep than those who don’t, actually report better quality of sleep which means they wake up feeling better than their non-exercising counterparts. Go break a sweat!
- Find the Perfect Pillow
Do you wake up feeling like your neck is stiff in the middle of the night? Maybe your shoulder hurts from laying on it, and you toss and turn frequently. These problems can be solved by finding the perfect pillow. It may take a little experimentation before you find the right fit, but once you do, your body will thank you.
- Clean Up Your Diet
It's probably not much of a surprise that the pizza you ate yesterday wasn't sitting well by the time you brushed your teeth before bed. Ditch inflammatory foods, sugar, and anything else that could be causing sleep disturbances like acid reflux and indigestion for a better rest.
- Reduce Stress
Feeling a little worried about that project that's due early next week? From work to relationships to difficulties with finances, reducing stress is often easier said than done. You might have to think outside the box a little, but coming up with ways you can change your lifestyle to reduce stress can help rest your mind and relax your body when it's time for sleep.
- Cut The Caffeine
No one wants to hear that they should give up their morning java, especially if they're already feeling like they need a jump start. But if you're having sleep trouble, it's important to consider reducing your caffeine consumption, particularly within 6 hours of bedtime. You might not notice a difference right away, but if you dodge caffeine for a few days, you'll probably find you're sleeping better.
- Use a High-Quality, All-Natural Mattress
Cheaping out on your mattress purchase means you could be cheating yourself out of some invaluable, high-quality sleep time. When shopping for a mattress, it's important to find one that's made from all-natural materials so that you can avoid any off-gassing from petroleum-based foams that can smell harsh and reduce your sleep quality. To top it off, synthetic fibers like memory foam and polyester make it harder for our bodies to regulate their temperatures. Shoot for mattresses and toppers made out of natural fibers like ecofoam, natural latex, cotton and wool so you can sleep easier and more comfortably.
- Consider a Weighted Blanket for Anxiety
If anxious thoughts are keeping you up at night, a weighted blanket might be the perfect fit for you. Weighted blankets work by providing deep pressure touch stimulation without uncomfortable restriction. The deep pressure from the weight of the blanket causes the body to produce serotonin and endorphins all night long while you sleep. Serotonin and endorphins are necessary to help us feel relaxed and calm.
- Say Goodbye to Screen Time Before Bed
Studies have found that people who use phones, iPads, light-emitting eReaders and other similar devices at bedtime take longer to fall asleep and have disrupted circadian rhythms. If you're going to read before bed to relax, stick to books and ditch the screen.
- Keep Your Bedroom Cool
Don't make it so cold that you're uncomfortable, but research suggests sleeping in cooler environments as low as 66 degrees can help you sleep better.
- Reduce Clutter in Your Bedroom
Marie Kondo, author of The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, says "A messy room equals a messy mind". If your sleeping space is cluttered and full of distractions, you might have trouble relaxing and getting to sleep. Clear the clutter and see what happens!
Sleep is something that directly impacts your life every day. Keep up to date on all the latest and greatest tips for getting the best sleep by subscribing to our newsletter here!
Indoor Air Pollutants
One of the most important functions of a home is to control the temperature of the air inside of it, right? We want our homes warm when it's cold outside, yet cool and comfortable when it's too hot outside. All that climate control means insulating our homes as best we can to keep all the warm or cool air inside when we want it there, but what else are we keeping inside at the same time?
There are loads of indoor air pollutants that are commonly found in modern-day homes, and while some may go unnoticed, others can have direct physical effects on your daily health and well being. It's important to be aware of potential indoor air pollutants because you could be facing them on a daily basis, and prolonged exposure could result in long-term health issues.
What Are Indoor Air Pollutants?
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's list of indoor air pollutant sources includes:
- Fuel-burning combustion appliances (like gas stoves)
- Building materials and furnishings like:
- Deteriorated asbestos-containing insulation
- Newly installed flooring, upholstery, or carpet
- Cabinetry or furniture made of certain pressed wood products
- Products for household cleaning and maintenance, personal care, or hobbies
- Central heating and cooling systems and humidification devices
- Excess moisture
What Are Symptoms Caused by Indoor Air Pollutants?
Knowing whether or not you're experiencing health issues related to indoor air pollutants can be tricky since the symptoms often present themselves like the common cold. However, if you've noticed that you have recurring, continuous, or chronic symptoms, you may want to consider what pollutants are floating around your home since you’re more than likely encountering them on a daily basis. Common symptoms caused by indoor air pollutants can be:
- Eye Irritation
- Sinus Congestion
- Nose and Throat Irritation
- Problems Sleeping
How Can I Improve the Air Quality in My Home?
The first thing to consider when improving the air quality in your home is the type of climate that exists outside your home. For example, if you live in an area of the world where it rains a lot, excess moisture may be one of your greatest problems and perhaps the first one you'll want to tackle. However, there are other smaller, simpler steps anyone can take regardless of their location and climate. These factors are more related to the things we keep and use in our homes on a daily basis, which are more easily controlled and perhaps require less of a financial investment:
- Take a good look at your cleaning products. Household cleaning and body products can contain harsh chemicals that are tough on our respiratory systems. Choosing gentler, more natural home cleaning and body products is an easy and great first step to take when working on improving your indoor air quality.
- Let the outside air in. Most residential forced air heating and cooling systems do not bring outdoor air into the house mechanically at all. That means you are relying entirely on natural ventilation to rid your home of indoor air pollutants and bring in the fresh air. Any time the weather permits, open the windows and doors in your house to bring clean air in and send lingering unwanted air pollutants out.
- Consider natural furniture. From sofas to mattresses to throw pillows and cushions, furniture is often made with petroleum-based foam products that release gases into your home. Avoiding off-gassing furniture can help keep your indoor air cleaner and more pleasant.
Keeping a clean, green home is a practice that takes time to master. Let us help you on your journey by subscribing to our newsletter! We’ll make sure to send you all the latest and greatest tips for living an eco-conscious lifestyle inside and out.
Happy New Years!
2017 was an organically great year for White Lotus Home and we hope the same for you, if not please tell us how we can help make your dreams greener? Please leave your comments below.
Did you know if you leave a review on any order we will send you a $20 White Lotus Home coupon code valid towards a future order? To leave us a review and claim your $20 WLH dollars, just click on the REVIEW tab on the product you purchased on our website and make sure you leave your full name and email so we can confirm your order and send you a code.
Thanks in advance for your comments and feedback.
In Bedrooms all over the USA, Americans Favor Craftsmanship & Natural Materials
White Lotus Home – Natural Mattress & Bedding Company
NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ –
Amid growing concern about hazardous chemicals in bedroom products, more Americans are questioning the safety of conventional bedding. For many parents-to-be, the choice of a crib mattress is just as important --- if not more so --- than the crib itself. Infants are particularly vulnerable to chemical exposure, as their bodily systems are still developing and they spend the largest portion of their day sleeping.
For over 36 years, White Lotus Home has worked to create the ultimate in healthy, earth-friendly, and comfortable sleep environments. Our GOTS- and USDA-certified Organic Cotton fiber and fabrics are all that we use to hand make organic bedding. Our mattresses, pillows and bedding are made differently from any others on the market. Each product is crafted by hand, one-at-a-time from raw, unprocessed fibers free of dyes, perfumes, formaldehyde, or other chemicals. Unlike conventional mattresses, pillows and bedding that can off-gas both initially and as they break down over time, White Lotus Home products promote a clean air quality and reduce chemical exposure in the bedroom.
Common fears? Exposure to a toxic stew of chemicals and possible carcinogens such as formaldehyde, benzene, acetone, and naphthalene, all of which can be toxic to the lungs, liver, thyroid, and nervous system. A group of environmental engineers in Texas and Finland sampled polyurethane foam and polyester foam padding from 20 new and old mattresses. The new mattresses emitted volatile organic compounds (VOC’s), which are also found in household cleaners. While the Environmental Protection Agency remains uncertain how volatile
organic compounds found in homes can affect residents' health, they maintain that the chronic toxicity and carcinogenicity of common VOC’s are directly correlated with overall indoor air quality.
What’s more, newer mattresses emit chemicals at a rate four times faster than old mattresses, according to researchers at University of Texas Cockrell School of Engineering and the VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, thereby increasing exposure of toxins to the most vulnerable population. The application of body heat only increased the emissions.
Because concentrations of VOC’s were strongest in immediate breathing zone, infants who spend upwards of 50-60% of their days sleeping, inhale air at a significantly higher volume relative to body weight than adults, they experience over 10 times the inhalation exposure of adults.
"It's good to be alerted to the fact that mattresses are a significant source of chemicals in an infant's environment," said Chemist and indoor air quality expert Charles J. Weschler, adjunct professor of environmental and occupational medicine at Rutgers University.
By contrast, if one was to open a White Lotus Home Pure Cotton Dreamton Mattress, you would find only three ingredients: an interior of raw, unprocessed batting layers of GOTS- and USDA Organic cotton, a wrapping of virgin wool as a natural flame retardant and an outer layer of GOTS Organic Cotton Twill Fabric.
About White Lotus Home
White Lotus Home is a leading manufacturer and distributor of natural and pure bedding dedicated to our customers, our employees and our planet. Founded in 1981, our company provides consumers with mattresses, pillows and bedding created by hand from pure American-grown cotton, wool and other natural products. White Lotus Home is dedicated to educating consumers about indoor air quality and toxic chemicals found in mattresses. Our fabrication plant in New Brunswick, N.J., supplies White Lotus stores in New Jersey, as well as a network of 100 online retailers and retail outlets in the U.S. and Canada. White Lotus believes that quality and fair value are more important than low prices and a quick profit. We oppose the exploitation of the planet and its inhabitants. Above all, our people, products and business practices are socially, politically and environmentally responsible.
VP, White Lotus Home
White Lotus Home
Hello South Florida!
Over $30,000 worth of Organic Bedding on Sale for 35% - 45% OFF! In conjunction with our 35th year Anniversary, we are offering 35% off our entire MIAMI, Florida Inventory! What does this mean for you? We are offering deals on our handcrafted organic bedding like you have never seen before! After 35 years of leading the industry, we are offering 35% off on inventory left, from our previous Miami store. Many natural and organic mattresses, stows, pillows, sheets, covers, duvets plus more in stock. You receive 35% off including delivery to your home or up to 45% off if you pick it up! To take advantage of this offer, you must call 305-929-8900 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org To view our in stock offerings click here: Miami Inventory List
White Lotus Home offers house calls
and meetings by appointment in the South Florida, New Jersey & NYC areas! Looking for brick and mortar stores outside of New Jersey? Check out our retail partners
that carry White Lotus Home products!